Alzheimer’s is a mental condition that slowly diminishes an individual’s memory, appearing first as a benign difficulty in remembering and deteriorating over time into extreme confusion, disorientation, mood swings, anger, difficulty in communication and total inability to recognize familiar people, situations and simple facts like the date or sufferer’s own name. In cellular terms, Alzheimer’s causes brain tissue to break down over time.
Here are ten 10 Things You Need To Know About Alzheimers:
1. A lack of quality sleep could lead to Alzheimer’s. Amyloid, one of the culprit proteins involved in the development of the disease, builds up in the brain when the body is denied sleep.
2. Alzheimer’s affects people in their old age. But nobody knows why. While science has not yet figured out why the disease mostly affects older people, research links aging with the breakdown of brain tissue.
3. Alzheimer’s is a huge problem. 15 million people in the US alone are taking care of someone with Alzheimer’s or dementia.
5. Down’s syndrome suffers often get Alzheimer’s. apparently because of their extra chromosome #21, which affects amyloid production.
6. Genetics is a sign. While not a 100% guarantee, people with an immediate relative with dementia or Alzheimer’s are more likely to suffer from it.
7. Sometimes, unrelated conditions cause similar symptoms to dementia. These conditions are usually treatable, and include depression, thyroid problems, excessive alcohol use, medication side effects, and delirium.
8. Friends and relatives are great diagnosticians. Many times, doctors will ask the people around a possible sufferer whether they notice changes in behavior or memory.
9. Alzheimer’s care-givers spend 17.9 billion hours taking care of patients, labor time valued at $217.7 billion.
10. Listening to music might lessen your risk of Alzheimer’s. Doctors at the Mayo Clinic found that socially and mentally stimulating leisure activities can both help prevent and alleviate Alzheimer’s symptoms. There are also programs that claim to reduce the deterioration of memory loss by following a certain diet.